Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Crying Game

My managing editor heard through the grapevine that one of my interview subjects cried mid-interview this week.

He was wrong.

Two interview subjects cried mid-interview this week.

Conducting an interview is typically a fairly odd experience. As a journalist, I'm routinely tasked with grilling people about their lives, likes and opinions. About 5 minutes after we've met for the very first time.

Personally, I try to keep them informal, comfortable and conversational.

There are instances, however, like this week when issues like tragic Haitian earthquakes and front-line women's centres come up.

People that are so shaken by devastating poverty or the loss of a close friend often are so overwhelmed they break down in explaining their thoughts and feelings to a prodding reporter.

My editor, acknowledging how potentially awkward the situation could be, asked me how I dealt with it.

And I seriously had to think about it. In the moment, you don't really have time to weigh options and consider what the best course of action is. But when I did step back and look at it, I drew on the advice of a fellow journalist from years ago. I had the opportunity to interview Winnipeg Free Press journalist Mary Agnes Welsh when she was the City Hall reporter and I asked her what she thought made a good journalist.

Her response was, "Sometimes, you have to know when to just shut up."

The power of being able to be comfortable with the uncomfortable silence while the person across the table from you sobs, breathes deep and connects with a painful memory or emotion might be the best thing you can do.

The words that pour out with the tears are sometimes the most raw human emotion that others can find a connection with. When that moment passes, profound insights that inspire understanding of another's life experience are sometimes spoken.

And sometimes they aren't. But that's ok too. Sometimes, we all just need a good cry, followed by a kind word and a smile.

And then another question.

No comments:

Post a Comment